Saturday, April 22, 2006

After the garden

The worst part was the cold; no,
the worst was the stones beneath our feet,
the way the world hurt us constantly,
sunburn, wind, the sting of rain.
The worst was the loneliness.

The worst was meat. The fawn caught in the branches
by the river, the mud, the look
on Adam's face. What are you doing,
I asked, and he said, we are hungry.
The rock, falling, the spray of blood.
The sound it made. The worst was
that I ate.

Later, Cain, with that look on his face,
and I knew. I knew.

3 Comments:

At 3:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Karla - we would like to feature this poem in The Goodnight Show. Could you please record it for us and send it to me no later than Wednesday? You can try sending us an ODEO - just stop by www.miporadio.net and click on The Goodnight Show or shoot me an email to didimenendez at hotmail dot com.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Karla Andrich said...

Hey, awesome. Will do.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The new show is up.

http://didimenendez.blogspot.com/

Didi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home